FULL-TIME ADULT CLASSES • 9-MONTH PROGRAM • 24 HOURS OF TRAINING PER WEEK
Graduates of the HVAC program are qualified for entry into the Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration installation, service, and maintenance fields. This vast industry offers a diverse selection of career opportunities.
The major units of study explored in this course focus on building a knowledge base and technical skills in the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning industry. Students have the opportunity to earn NCCER certification for each skill set mastered. In addition students gain the skills necessary for developing a positive work ethic. The course is divided into 50% hands on and 50% classroom work.
- Career Preparation
- Leadership Development
- Customer Service
- Introduction to Construction Math
- Hand and Power Tool Basics
- Construction Drawings
- Basic Communication Skills
- Basic Employability Skills
- Material Handling Basics
- Introduction to HVAC
- Trade Mathematics
- Copper and Plastic Piping Practices
- Soldering and Brazing
- Ferrous Metal Piping Practices
- Basic Electricity
- Introduction to Cooling
- Introduction to Heating
- Air Distribution Systems
- Chimneys, Vents, and Flues
- Leak Detection, Evacuation, Recovery, and Charging
- Alternating Current
- Basic Electronics
- Introduction to Control Circuit Troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting Gas Heating
- Troubleshooting Cooling
- Heat Pumps
- Basic Installation and Maintenance Practices
- Sheet Metal Duct Systems
Courses of Study
9041A HVAC Technician I
9042A HVAC Technician II
9043A HVAC Technician III
9044A HVAC Technician IV
9045A Basic Control Circuits
9046A Air Conditioning Applications
9047A Domestic Refrigeration
9048A Fossil Fuel Heating Systems
9049A Heating Systems
9050A Commercial Air Conditioning
9011A Work-Based Integration & Transition
Oil Burner Technician
Air Balance Technician
Do You Meet the Prerequisites?
- Must be 18 years old.
- Have a high school diploma or WV-accepted equivalency diploma.
- Must be in good health and able to lift, bend, and stand on concrete floors for up to six hours a day.
What to do Next
- Fill out an application. The registration fee will be deferred until you have been accepted into the program.
- Take the TABE (basic skills test) to evaluate your academic (reading, math, etc.) skills. Call the Jill S. Weekley Learning Center to schedule your test. 304-754-9712
- Complete your application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov. This is a requirement for receiving Federal Financial aid (PELL grant). JRTI school code is (008355).
- Meet with the instructor for an interview. You can contact the instructor via email from the HVAC/R program’s page on our website.
- The instructor will contact you to inform you if you have met the requirements and have been accepted into the program.
- If you have been accepted, you will need to pay the registration fee to reserve your seat in the program.
Consumer Disclosure Letter
James Rumsey Technical Institute is committed to providing all potential students with information regarding their rights and responsibilities as mandated by the United States Department of Education. While the following information may be found in more than one location, we are providing you with direct links to access this information. We will provide a paper copy upon request. If you have questions or require additional information, please contact the school directly.
- JRTI Net Price Calculator: www.jamesrumsey.com under financial aid and on program pages. (please note that JRTI does not provide room and board, therefore living costs are estimated and may vary greatly according to a student’s individual circumstances)
- Gainful Employment Information: www.jamesrumsey.com under Policies.
- Course schedule and textbook information: www.jamesrumsey.com on each program page.
- FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) information: www.jamesrumsey.com under Policies.
- Drug and alcohol abuse prevention information: www.jamesrumsey.com under Student Resources
- Copyright Infringement Policy: www.jamesrumsey.com under Policies and on page 18 of the student handbook.
- Voter registration information: www.jamesrumsey.com under Student Resources
- Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy: www.jamesrumsey.com under Policies and as part of the JRTI Financial Aid Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Fire Safety Report: www.jamesrumsey.com under Documentation.
- Crime Report: www.jamesrumsey.com under Documentation.