FULL-TIME ADULT CLASSES • 1200 HOURS
The Surgical Technology program is accredited through the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP). Graduates are qualified to take the national certification exam and, upon passing, earn the title of Certified Surgical Technologist (CST).
The Surgical Technology program prepares you to work in the exciting world of the operating room. As technology changes, operating rooms are always in need of well-trained surgical technologists who are willing to continue the learning process throughout their lives.
The Surgical Technology program is a CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs) accredited program, which means that our graduates are eligible to sit for certification by the NBSTSA (National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting). The Surgical Technology program is a certificate program, in which students will take the National Certification test as a pre-graduate.
For successful completion of the ST program, student must complete each course with a minimum final grade each 9 weeks/semester of 80% C. Student must also complete a minimum of 120 scrub cases.
Student Work Policy – All student activities associated with the curriculum, especially while students are completing clinical rotations, will be educational in nature. Students will not be substituted for hired staff personnel within the clinical institution, in the capacity of a surgical technologist.
The JRTI class of 2022-2023 pass rate for the NBSTSA exam was 60%.
Per program accreditation requirements, all Surgical Technology programs must have students complete with a minimum of an Associate’s degree to satisfy certificate completion and to be eligible to sit for the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting certification exam.
ALL incoming students for the 2024-25 school year need to have already completed a degree program (transcript proof sent to James Rumsey) or provide proof they are currently enrolled in a degree program and will successfully complete the degree by completion of the Surgical Technology program.
For the 2025-26 school year and beyond, a degree will be a prerequisite for entrance to the program.
Please refer ALL questions regarding Associate Degree requirement to the instructor Mrs. Firl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The curriculum is divided into four (4) marking periods. Classes include:
The Surgical Technology program uses the Association of Surgical Technologist (AST) Core Curriculum. The 7th edition of the AST Core Curriculum not only includes a strong knowledge and skills focus, but also incorporates cutting-edge technology and professional affective behaviors—all essential to prepare the students for the field of Surgical Technology.
The Surgical Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Accrediting Review Council on Education in Surgical Assisting.
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
Phone: 727-210-2350 Fax: 727-210-2354
Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC/STSA)
Phone: 303-694-9262 Fax: 303-741-3655
Courses of Study
9068 Health Science Clinical Practicum
9153 Surgical Technology IV
9151 Surgical Technology Pharmacology
9150 Surgical Instrumentation
9147 Surgical Principles and Practices
9148 Surgical Technology Medical Terminology
9149 Surgical Technology A&P
Obstetrics department/labor and delivery room
Tissue and organ procurement
Same-day/ambulatory surgery unit
Sales representative or technical specialist
Private scrub for a surgeon
Instructor in schools of surgical technology
Do You Meet the Prerequisites?
- Must be 18 years old.
- Have a high school diploma or WV accepted equivalency diploma.
- Have an Associate degree or proof that you will complete prior to the completion of the 2025 school year (transcript required).
What to do Next
- Complete online application.
- TABE test (basic skills test) to evaluate your academic (reading, math, etc.) skills. 576 TABE benchmark. Use this link to schedule your test with the Jill S. Weekley Learning Center.
- Complete your application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov. This is a requirement for receiving Federal Financial aid (PELL grant). JRTI school code is (008355).
- Program secretary or instructor will email applicant to let them know if they are accepted or placed on a waiting list.
- Await official acceptance email. Email will outline required drug testing, background check, and physical information which includes immunization requirements HEP B, PPD, MMR, VZR and TDAP.
- Attend required Bridge course offered at the James Rumsey Learning Center.
- Complete financial aid process with guidance counselor.
- Pay 1st semester tuition.
Consumer Disclosure Letter
James Rumsey Technical Institute is committed to providing all potential students with information regarding their rights and responsibilities as mandated by the United States Department of Education. While the following information may be found in more than one location, we are providing you with direct links to access this information. We will provide a paper copy upon request. If you have questions or require additional information, please contact the school directly.
- JRTI Net Price Calculator: www.jamesrumsey.com under financial aid and on program pages. (please note that JRTI does not provide room and board, therefore living costs are estimated and may vary greatly according to a student’s individual circumstances)
- Gainful Employment Information: www.jamesrumsey.com under Policies.
- Course schedule and textbook information: www.jamesrumsey.com on each program page.
- FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) information: www.jamesrumsey.com under Policies.
- Drug and alcohol abuse prevention information: www.jamesrumsey.com under Student Resources
- Copyright Infringement Policy: www.jamesrumsey.com under Policies and on page 18 of the student handbook.
- Voter registration information: www.jamesrumsey.com under Student Resources
- Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy: www.jamesrumsey.com under Policies and as part of the JRTI Financial Aid Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Fire Safety Report: www.jamesrumsey.com under Documentation.
- Crime Report: www.jamesrumsey.com under Documentation.